Retro scene releases discussion

Scene iSO Games, released from 90s untill 2009
Xattre
Moto-Terminator

Post by Xattre »

abk58004 wrote: 10 Feb 2022, 21:51 However the nfo you posted is for Star.Wars.Episode.1.TS-VCD.Europe. I actually have the .mpg files still, but didn't keep the rars unfortunately. I was young and poor, so i burnt the movies ready to watch instead of spending more $$$ on blanks to archive the release.
Mind sharing it? :)
-Collecting iSO & RiPS from 1980 to 2009-
peronistan
Mini-Hunter

Post by peronistan »

Can I request someone to reupload this Pro_Evolution_Soccer_6_CLONEDVD-PROCYON? Thanks
 i Message from: jimmychan
in future click the report Button (it's the ! encased in a square please :good: )
abk58004
Mini-Hunter

Post by abk58004 »

Xattre wrote: 16 Feb 2022, 23:40 Mind sharing it?
Yeah, i can dig it out and upload somewhere. What is the best free hoster to upload 1.4gb of data without much hassle?
Xattre
Moto-Terminator

Post by Xattre »

abk58004 wrote: 17 Feb 2022, 12:10 Yeah, i can dig it out and upload somewhere. What is the best free hoster to upload 1.4gb of data without much hassle?
gdrive works fine
abk58004
Mini-Hunter

Post by abk58004 »

Xattre
Moto-Terminator

Post by Xattre »

abk58004 wrote: 02 Mar 2022, 17:15 Everybody rejoice, i managed to dig out the Star Wars EP1 VCD releases and upload them to mega.nz
d00d! Thank you so much for these! :yahoo:
bleeter
Moto-Terminator

Post by bleeter »

Hello everyone, I’ve stumbled upon two different packagings of Day of the Tentacle release by GENESIS:
  1. Day.of.The.Tentacle-GENESIS
  2. Day_Of_The_Tentacle-GENESIS
The specifics of (1) are as follows:
  • dots as a separator between release name parts
  • lowercase of
  • NFO footer has some odd copy-paste errors:

Code: Select all

(Please Notice that our new Intro was half a Year in the BETA Test Phase!)

-#- SUPPORT THE COMPANIES WHO RELEASE QUALITY STUFF ! -#-
                    -#- Buy the Original if you like this -#-
    BETA Test Phase!)

-#- SUPPORT THE COMPANIES WHO RELEASE QUALITY STUFF ! -#-
                    -#- Buy the Original if you like this -#-

(2) has a lot of things done the other way:
  • underscore as separator
  • uppercase Of
  • no errors in NFO footer
Which one is the proper release, and which one of these two has been tampered with?

Also:
  • where is the DIZ file? Judging by this page (found it to be a great resource when scenerules.org are not clear enough to me), it falls under the 0day packaging structure, so it should be present there.
  • no lowercase i in GENESIS?
Wow, that’s a pile of questions. Hope someone will have both the patience and knowledge to address this.

---

Regarding release name. PreDB.me, srrDB, xREL and pre.corrupt-net.org all agree on Day_Of_The_Tentacle-GENESIS - uppercase Of and underscores as name part separators. Furthermore, vast majority of GENESIS releases on PreDB.me use underscores, not dots as the separator. Well, apart from Sim.Tower-GENESIS and perhaps some other releases I failed to notice. Same applies for lowercase i in GENESIS - nearly all releases are suffixed with GENESIS, not GENESiS, with seemingly the only odd duck being EIGHT_BALL_DELUXE-GENESiS.

Okay, Blackthorne_Controls_And_Passwords-GENESIS is another odd release - both BLACKTHORNE-CONTROLS_PASSWORDS-GENESiS and Blackthorne_Controls_And_Passwords-GENESIS exist in srrDB.

Evidence largely points towards Day_Of_The_Tentacle-GENESIS, but it might be one of their early releases with odd casing or separators.

---

Next thing - NFO. Both srrDB and xREL have the same botched NFO as (1). Could it be that GENESIS really messed this one up, or is it just one source copying from another?
Bored? Check my 0DAY requests!
twkolorx
Moto-Terminator

Post by twkolorx »

bleeter wrote: 24 May 2022, 23:07 Hope someone will have both the patience and knowledge to address this.
most likely underscores and uppercase Of is correct
bleeter
Moto-Terminator

Post by bleeter »

Alright, thank you for the confirmation. How about the NFO situation if, by any chance, you might have such vintage scene insight?

Judging by errors I’ve seen in other NFOs, it seems to stem from some topsite script failing to copy it faithfully from the source, as if an unescaped character broke its sense of which character it was last on while copying the file letter by letter. That kinda works out to the fact that the NFO without errors is actually the original one, while the one with duplication errors got damaged while bouncing from topsite to topsite.

I’m inclined to take the packaging with the NFO that has no odd mistakes, but what is with the big chungus monolithic 8 MB dott.zip archive? Shouldn’t it be split in a few 1.44 or 2.88 MB parts? I have not found a game rip standard which predates this release to see if I’m wrong or not. Day of the Tentacle seems to be their first release, at least if PreDB.me is to be trusted, so things might be weird, but already their third release (CYCLONES-GENESIS) seems to have been properly split into 1.44 MB disks.
Digging even deeper, it seems the GENESIS release is a crack patch, something which would nowadays be called crackfix, not a proper with their fixed crack packaged together with the rest of the game. Could it be that it's a TDT or HYBRiD release packed together with GENESIS' crackfix?
twkolorx
Moto-Terminator

Post by twkolorx »

bleeter wrote: 25 May 2022, 20:14 Could it be that it's a TDT or HYBRiD release packed together with GENESIS' crackfix?
yes could be some lame repacking
MANIAC_MANSION_2_DAY_OF_THE_TENTACLE_CRACK-GENESIS is having dottcrgp.zip and
bleeter
Moto-Terminator

Post by bleeter »

Damn, you are a god among mortals, twkolorx! There is literally no mention of that release name on the internet. No search engine spits out meaningful results for MANIAC_MANSION_2_DAY_OF_THE_TENTACLE_CRACK-GENESIS. srrDB, PreDB.me, m2v.ru, zero points. Not even TWC's latest release catalog seems to contain it. The farthest I've come is finding a mention of DOTTCRGP.ZIP on scenelist.org and a few different variants of it on IA.

I will say it would be truly appreciated if you have and would share the release itself, but I will understand too if I have already drained enough of goodwill with all the questions I've asked already.

Fun fact: there even exists a Razor1911 crack - that's a fourth one - as confirmed by Randall Flagg themselves on pouët.net. NFO can be found on scenelist.org too, but it's kinda hard to link to it.
Xattre
Moto-Terminator

Post by Xattre »

Ur welcome
abk58004
Mini-Hunter

Post by abk58004 »

Forget about the proper directory names for these pre 1995 releases, there are none. The reason is that these releases where shared on BBS systems back in the day, which don't use directories. All these dirnames for those old releases have been manually created by someone who either put it on their harddisk or some FTP at some later point Personally i would go with underscores, because this is the "oldschool" way, dot's weren't really en-vogue back in the day and only widely used by some movie groups in the late 90s and then more commonly adoped by other groups as time went by.
I have a couple of backup disks of some old BBS systems and it's a mess. Basically just three directories with thousands of files in them.
Xattre
Moto-Terminator

Post by Xattre »

abk58004 wrote: 07 Jun 2022, 16:23 I have a couple of backup disks of some old BBS systems and it's a mess. Basically just three directories with thousands of files in them.
I'd love getting my hands on that and sort it up! PM me if that would be a possibility.
bleeter
Moto-Terminator

Post by bleeter »

abk58004 wrote: 07 Jun 2022, 16:23 Forget about the proper directory names for these pre 1995 releases, there are none. The reason is that these releases where shared on BBS systems back in the day, which don't use directories. All these dirnames for those old releases have been manually created by someone who either put it on their harddisk or some FTP at some later point Personally i would go with underscores, because this is the "oldschool" way, dot's weren't really en-vogue back in the day and only widely used by some movie groups in the late 90s and then more commonly adoped by other groups as time went by.
I have a couple of backup disks of some old BBS systems and it's a mess. Basically just three directories with thousands of files in them.
Thank you for the reply, valuable insight indeed! Helps piece together the bumpy road it crossed to reach my hands. I guess for my personal collection, I'll pack DoTT in two parts: the crackfix by GENESIS (in an archive with a name as twkolorx provided) and installation disks, presumably by TDT. Will have to do some binary diffing for this ... and mock up some release name for it too. However, there are two things I'd be happy if clarified:
  • NFO and DIZ files, these things were not uploaded alongside ZIPs, only within the archive itself, I presume?
  • back then there were no sources higher up in the distribution hierarchy which might've contained such data and got stripped when uploading to a BBS, like, say, a topsite?
twkolorx
Moto-Terminator

Post by twkolorx »

bleeter wrote: 10 Jun 2022, 20:34 NFO and DIZ files, these things were not uploaded alongside ZIPs, only within the archive itself, I presume?
nfo was inside the archive, diz was generated on the server by bbs software (.diz ---- BBS Descriptive file)
so yeah, the original piece of content from release group was just a zip archive with nfo and cracks inside
sampson
Moto-Terminator

Post by sampson »

Correct releasename was Maniac.Mansion.II.100%.Crack.Patch-GP Had nothing to do with german grp named GENESIS. Original diz was following:
-> Maniac Mansion II 100 % Crack Patch ! <-
_______________ __________/\ _____
/ ___/ ___/ \ / ___/ __/__\/ __/
\ \_/ _)_ | \ _)_\__ \ \__ \
\__ \____ |_| _/____ | ___/___/ ___/
------\_/----\|-|/------\|/-------|/-------
=GENESIS PROJECT -Where Quality is at home=
bleeter
Moto-Terminator

Post by bleeter »

sampson wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 12:40 GP Had nothing to do with german grp named GENESIS
At first I thought these were merely two names for effectively the same thing with GP (Genesis Project) being the initial name for what later became GENESIS due to Snacky being a member of both of them. However, there seem to be not two, but three different Genesis-named things: Added in 22 minutes 3 seconds:
sampson wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 12:40 Correct releasename was Maniac.Mansion.II.100%.Crack.Patch-GP
From what I can tell, releases are named very similarly to what is provided in the DIZ file, so I am indeed inclined to pick your naming instead of twkolorx's. However, judging by what abk58004 said, there is no objectively right release name for the BBS era, just one that seems more reasonable. Please correct me if I'm wrong, though.

Added in 7 minutes 44 seconds:
twkolorx wrote: 13 Jun 2022, 11:49 nfo was inside the archive, diz was generated on the server by bbs software
Well, that's kinda screwed up, because both the GP's and Razor1911's cracks I have contain DIZ files within the ZIP archive itself too. Repacked, perhaps?
No World Order
Moto-Terminator

Post by No World Order »

I need help with decrypting Gothic.II.Die.Nacht.Des.Raben.READ.NFO.GERMAN-Souldrinker BIN/CUE files. It can't be mounted nor burned. They mentioned in the nfo that you need some TGSC Decrypter v2.6, but you can't find that crap nowadays.

Thank you very much Wesser, it did the job. :friends:
Wesser
Moto-Terminator

Post by Wesser »

Is this what you are looking for?
[Unofficial] Y.A.S.U v1.7.12110 (< SPTD 2.13 & Win10 1903)
RAR4.bt - 010 Editor template for RAR4/SRR file formats