Running Windows GOG games in linux

brumm1c
Mini-Hunter

Post by brumm1c »

Hello, I am wondering if anyone has experience with or know if it's possible to install and run Windows versions of GOG releases in linux. I am using Manjaro if that is relevant. I've tried installing one specifically Art of Rally but I was not successful in getting it running. I tried installing it through lutris with different versions of wine selected. I thought I would ask since there's a linux section and I'm guessing some linux people here who may know of a way or if it's possible.
hentaiw
Moto-Terminator

Post by hentaiw »

Give me the version of the game you are talking about so I can replicate the errors
EDIT: there is Linux version for this game (recommended over the Windows version):

Code: Select all

https://forum.torrminatorr.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=16269&p=69561&hilit=Art+of+Rally#p69561
This is the general workaround:

See this link to install all Wine Dependencies:

https://github.com/lutris/docs/blob/master/WineDependencies.md
Given the executable, you can find out what libraries are missing using this terminal code

ldd gameFile
Then look for the necessary package in the pacman system or AUR, and install them.
brumm1c
Mini-Hunter

Post by brumm1c »

I hesitated trying the linux gog version due to it being a little older compared to the windows one to avoid possible issues. I tried installing the windows version 1.1.0d_(64bit)_(43428) from scratch to try and figure it out myself. I got it from gog-games not the 1.1.0e here as I was unaware a newer patch was here. I found a tutorial at reddit specifying how to install GOG games in lutris which instructed me on how they did it but I got another error. On your advise I tried the linux version and it installed successfully and I had a fun time in the free roam intro part.

I did notice something, I had installed the sh inside a directory that had the 1.1.0d windows exe and the linux version I installed was 1.0.5c and somehow the linux version installed was the same as the windows exe 1.1.0d.

Consider this inquiry resolved.

Thanks.

Edit: Thanks for all the information and the addition.

When entering the command I assume you mean to type as this for instance "ldd setup_art_of_rally_1.1.0d_(64bit)_(43428).exe"

The command in "" is ran inside the directory that has the exe in terminal without the "".

When entering the command as such I get the following which I'm pretty sure is referring to the ( in the title of the file.

syntax error near unexpected token `('

I changed the filename to setup.exe and ran the command again and I get "not a dynamic executable".

For now I will come back to this another time but thanks again for letting me know the way to get it working.
hentaiw
Moto-Terminator

Post by hentaiw »

I am sorry, I wasn't being clear. The ldd instruction is for Linux executables, not for EXE files, because I told you to test out the Linux version before the Windows version.
For EXEs, running this in the terminal:

wine Program.exe
can often point out what it is stopping the program to run (missing libraries, misconfigured settings)...
There's also WineHQ, and keep your drivers up-to-date.
The staff here are very good at keeping games up-to-date, and you'll just need to ask otherwise.
Have fun! Glad to be of help!
brumm1c
Mini-Hunter

Post by brumm1c »

Thank you for clarifying and helping me resolve this.