Half-Life [1998] Installation Issue

TimeGuardian
Mini-Hunter

Post by TimeGuardian »

Hello Everyone.
I recently downloaded Half-Life [1998] from this thread but i cant install it.
It comes with many parts which i have extracted into a .bin and a .cue file.
From my understanding is that im supposed to mount the .cue file which i tried with the software WinCDEmu but it says that the file is unknow or damaged.

Am i doing something wrong?
Deleted User 6280

Post by Deleted User 6280 »

Works fine with Daemon Tools. I didn't try further, but I think it should work fine in Windows 7/8/10.
TimeGuardian
Mini-Hunter

Post by TimeGuardian »

Daemon Tools worked, thanks!
ptsock1
T-X Terminatrix

Post by ptsock1 »

TimeGuardian, that version of the game is really old, if you want to play an updated version, here's the clean files of the latest (taken from my ClicknUpload account used to upload files to RIN's SCS):
ribcage
Mini-Hunter

Post by ribcage »

The latest version is quite different, some features were removed, bugs introduced, although the original version has a few issues if ran on modern computers. Don't forget to keep the .cue mounted on the earliest drive letter if you want to hear the music soundtrack while playing!
swastika
Mini-Hunter

Post by swastika »

yeah, but in these days the steam version is a way better solution, if u like Blue SHif, Opposing force and other mods and want to play online, You can download BRUT.me Half-Life Pack, where there are more mods with fixed bugs, but in original state http://hlpack.brut.me
DRONIC90
Moto-Terminator

Post by DRONIC90 »

Steam version not just most uptodate - which one not a "better" too - it is differ game on differ engine. Steamworks GldSrc. It is 2003 game. Also not all official mods come to Steam version engine.

Uptodate versions of all Valve games are broken, overwhelmed with ingame bugs. Not related to Steamworks migtation in '03, but new another one migration in '13-14 - to SteamPipe.
At least Win versions.

And as i didention latest versione not mean better. Half-Life 2/Source 2006 also better than latest versions. Before and after SteamPipe.

OP
Never ever use anything except DT and Alcohol. Nothing newer are better. You can get silent issues with installations (skipping files/folders copying to local drive, no errors cause no CRC mismatch detected).
Use Alcohol Portable at first. And switch to normal version later.

DT have many issues, mostly in creating images. Mount are good.
plmqazy
Mini-Hunter

Post by plmqazy »

Back in the day I used to use alcohol 120% to open cue files
hgebe
Mini-Hunter

Post by hgebe »

i have an original cd of half life, but it also installs sierra utilities. and when i uninstalled the game i couldnt uninstall sierra utilities since it still recognized the game on the system. then i installed the game and tried to uninstall it through sierra utilities only to see it wipe out the the whole parent folder instead of the game subfolder :facepalm:
hope they fixed that in the later releases
plmqazy
Mini-Hunter

Post by plmqazy »

I guess make a copy of the HL files, then uninstall the utilities?