The Beast Inside GOG - stuttering problems

arrowflash
Moto-Terminator

Post by arrowflash »

Am I the only one experiencing massive stuttering problems with this game?

When I start the game it runs smoothly, but after about 10 minutes of play time, the game begins freezing for about 1 second every 10 seconds or so, and the framerate also gets gradually worse. Quitting the game and loading it again fixes the problem, until it starts again.

I tried disabling in-game vsync, setting in-game framelimiter to both 120 fps (maximum) and 30 fps (lowest), adjusting all detail settings to low and tried both windowed, borderless windowed and exclusive fullscreen. Also tried lowering the resolution from 1920x1080 to 1280x720. None of these settings made any difference for the stuttering problem. Tried running it with MSI Afterburner OSD monitoring enabled, it shows that my GPU and all CPU cores never go over 60% usage, vram tops at around 3.5 gb and ram tops at around 4.5 gb, which is way less than what my PC can handle. Also tried running it with all USB devices disconnected (other than mouse and keyboard) and all network interfaces disabled, didn't make a difference either.

Even tried using Process Lasso and giving the game executable above normal priorities for cpu, memory and I/O, but using Process Lasso actually seems to have made the stuttering problem worse.

I've never experienced these problems with any other game, I'm also playing through Daymare: 1998 and Chernobylite atm and have zero stuttering or framerate problems with them. Looks like a bug to me, but looking at Steam and GOG forums I see no other complaints. Also tried the CODEX release and had same problems.
JohnnyMic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by JohnnyMic »

^i played with the cdx release without any problems (normally i would prefer gog too but this game released too late on gog for me :D)
But that u playing Chernobylite without ANY break of framerate or crash can i not believe sry. For it is the Game atm more as a bug palace :ahaha:

Anyway the probs are really not regular. I mean the game is not the one with the best performance but this sounds really wierd. The only thing i know is that the game gets sometimes problems to load a complete map/level, did u try if it begins to lag short to wait? (maybe only the complete map have to be load for the session)

EDIT: oh and i would rate to make vsync on if u got framerate drops / lags or other shit like this

EDIT 2: Found on Steam Hardware specs "Additional Notes: Game should run in at least 30 FPS on HIGH video settings" so at the end is 30 FPS the minimum on high settings lol xD
arrowflash
Moto-Terminator

Post by arrowflash »

Yes, it is weird, I never had these problems with any other game before. I tried just standing still and waiting for a bit like you suggested but that didn't work, I even could notice the game freezing while standing still because of the swaying of the characters lamp that would freeze still for a second, haha. I forgot to mention that I also tried moving the game to the SSD to see if things would improve, nope. And I noticed that when these freezes happen there's no HDD/SSD activity anyways. However I did notice that this game does take an unusually high time to load the levels, even when running it from the SSD, takes almost a minute...
I play almost every game with vsync on unless I have problems, I only disabled for this title to see if disabling vsync would improve things. Like I said, I tried moving all detail settings to LOW, disabling vsync and even lowering the resolution...

And Chernobylite is running really well for me, I'm not bullshitting! Being such a recently released early access build, I'm actually surprised on how stable it runs. Of course the game is still pretty rough around the edges, the AI needs a lot of work and it has too little content - needs more areas to explore (or maybe expand current areas, they are too small), many more missions and more enemy types, more weapons... but it's surprisingly fine for me. I already finished all missions available on early access and the game didn't crash on me even once, and performance is really good - maybe it had some fps drop here and there, but I don't even remember.
But I'm playing Chernobylite on HIGH settings, though. You're not running it on ULTRA are you? Because when you choose it, the game itself shows a message warning that ULTRA settings are currently not well optimized and might lead to problems and crashes...
JohnnyMic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by JohnnyMic »

i didnt play it, im waiting of the full release early 21 :kosak:
Hate episode shit (or if i must wait for new content like in this ea). If the story would be finished than i would start playing even ea or not but i think episodes or playing few lvls and than wait months of new content destroys a game/the story. And for me i could be happy if i remember everything after a few month without playing :crazy:

Back to topic: if u can not play the game than relaxe eat a pizza smoke a joint and give u a nice playing letsplay like from John Wolf https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... Nryy174mjF 8-)
arrowflash
Moto-Terminator

Post by arrowflash »

Heh, I normally don't bother with early access titles too, but like a lot of people I've been really jonesing for a STALKER sequel (either a direct or a spiritual one), so I decided to give Chernobylite a test. I might give the Call of Chernobyl STALKER mod a try during next year vacations while I wait for the final version of Chernobylite, it looks interesting.

And yeah I gave up on The Beast Inside, was hoping the problem could be affecting more people but looks like it's only me, maybe it's my gpu drivers or the fact I don't use Windows 10 (I'm on Windows 8.1). Might try again in a few months if more patches come out or after I finally get to installing Windows 10 - already have a Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC iso here with me. I'm not really a fan of watching playthroughs (especially when the guy talks nonstop and has his face taking 1/6 of the screen :ahaha: ) but right now seems to be the only option for me, I'll look for a no commentary playthrough though. :good:
gopnik_martian
Hydrobot

Post by gopnik_martian »

Game ran fine for me. Ran smoothly for the full game as I remember it with no frame drops or stuttering and it wasn't even installed to my SSD, I loaded it from my external backup. Windows 10, GTX 1080, 32GB RAM, i7-8700k.
JohnnyMic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by JohnnyMic »

arrowflash wrote: 18 Nov 2019, 22:04 but right now seems to be the only option for me, I'll look for a no commentary playthrough though
if u wanna watch no cmt. horror games than is this the only channel on complete youtube where u can go https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4jOVI ... 8Ywrdqb95w
no cmt. no facecam only horror games completed in 1 VOD per game and nearly all of them 4K res.
hes such a horror game freak he got so many special versions of games they are so rare that a normal collectors edition from games of today looking like an cheezy garbage gift